"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
-- Alma 26:12



Monday, December 5, 2011

Looking Back on my Time in B-Ridge, and Looking Forward to my Time in B-Ridge

Hola Familia,

As you may be able to tell from the title, I am still in Cheyenne! One lady the other day in the ward called us the frozen chosen. I thought that was funny. Well this morning it was -7 degrees outside. Yes, that is NEGATIVE seven degrees. So we walked outside to the zone leaders' truck and the inside of my nose began to freeze. Apparently that is when you know it's pretty dang cold. So we've been with one of my zone leaders, Elder Rheingans, for the last 6 days because our other zone leader, Elder Goesch, was made the new assistant. They're both awesome. Zone leaders have trucks, so we've had a nice warm Chevy Colorado for the last few days, and the best news about transfers was........WE'RE GETTING A CAR!!!! We'll probably be getting it next week, and it's going to be the car the zone leaders drove before it got insane hail damage before I got here. It's a Chevy Colorado as well. I'm still going to be with Elder McKay too, we'll have a ton of fun over this Christmas season.

So, the news of the week. Jess and Brian. Oh man. They're getting married on the 17th!!!! WOOOOOO!! And then she's getting baptized the next day, the 18th! So we had been fasting for a miracle with these guys, and then Bishop called us a couple weeks ago and said the seventy that was coming for stake conference (this past weekend) wanted to visit an investigator close to baptism in the stake, and President Whitehead (the stake president) chose Jess. So they visited her this Saturday, and Brian had already been planning on proposing to her that night. We didn't know this, and we texted him to see if they were planning on going to the adult session of stake conference, and he said they would try, and to wish him luck because that night was the proposal night, and to tell Bishop Ross because he got plenty of chastising that day! It was hilarious, and when I got the text, I yelled and went crazy! Then we had an appointment with them yesterday and we set Jess for a baptismal date of the next day when all the family would be in town. We're invited to the wedding, and I'm going to take lots of pictures. I think Elder Washburn might get permission to come up for it, who knows? I got to call him today and tell him the news. It was great to talk to him.

Katrina Grant. She's the daughter of Sister Jump in the ward, and she was taught the missionary lessons once before. We went in yesterday and talked about the baptismal interview questions and she said she could answer most of them, she just needed to know if it was true. We committed her to read and pray about the Book of Mormon, but most importantly we set her with a date to both receive and answer and be baptized on...the 20th of this month! It was an amazing lesson and everything just worked out perfectly it was awesome. Elder McKay is really good about remembering our purpose and talking about baptism with people. It's awesome.

We also picked up 2 new investigators this week. The first is named Teresa. We tracted into her. Actually, kind of. Elder Mckay and I tracted into a guy who really smelled terrible in the beginning of the transfer, and then the other week, he felt like we should visit this guy, and I was totally against it actually. The guy smelled absolutely horrid and disgusting, and he wasn't interested at all, he was like a wikken or something. Well, finally we just went over to the apartments he lived in, and we forgot which top apartment he lived in so we knocked on one, and it was Teresa. She has really been going through a hard time in her life, and she is ready to hear the gospel. In our appointment with her, she said her mom grew up LDS and then married her dad, but she was never taught any of what her mom believed. She told her mom we talked with her on her doorstep and her mom was super excited for her. She needs the gospel right now, and I think she will progress awesomely.

The second is named Rebecca. We tracted into her. She is also going through a hard time. She accepted everything we taught her this week, and I'm really excited to see how she progresses also. She committed to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it. It was really a great week.

I have thought a lot this week about remembrance. We hear it so often in the church, every Sunday in fact. We also read it so often in the Book of Mormon. I know with all of my soul, that there is power in remembrance. Remembrance leads us to self-reflection, and also to reflection on our blessings. It gives us a broader view of the hand of the Lord in our lives. I cannot believe or comprehend the love that my Father in Heaven has for me. He has blessed me with so much, so many incredible blessings have filled my life from the moment I was born. Most importantly, though, he has blessed me with the gospel. Sometimes, it is hard to see how we will get through life. Sometimes it is hard to wake up knowing the same struggles that plagued our minds when we went to bed are going to be there when we open our eyes. Never give up. Remember the times that God has blessed you. Remember His mercy and love to you and your fathers and your brothers and sisters. Most importantly remember that in a garden and on a hill halfway across the world and almost 2,000 years ago, the only perfect person that ever walked the earth suffered, bled, and died--for you. His infinite sacrifice was for me personally and was for you personally. Take a moment and reflect on his tears and his pain for you, all because he loves you perfectly completely lies beyond the realm of any visage of mortal comprehension. "Greater love hath no man". He lives. He loves. And during this significant time of year, I am drawn to remember the words he said to Paul that apply to me and to you: "My grace is sufficient for thee. For my strength is made perfect in weakness." I would invite you to remember the power of the Only Begotten Son of the Father. Only an innocent baby when he was born, yes; but "how great the wisdom and the love" of our Savior who lived for everyone but himself, and marked the path for us to walk. I love Him. I love you.

Love,
Elder Logan Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment