"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
-- Alma 26:12



Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Week 5

My wonderful family,

Sounds like you guys are having tons of fun up in Brianhead.  That's awesome. We have had some crazy snow and ice and wind lately up here in the windy city of Cheyenne.  I am beginning to think that I should just write the first presidency and ask them to change my call letter to "you have been assigned to labor in the Buffalo Ridge Ward" haha.  That would be awesome. 

This week was pretty dang exciting.  Amy dropped of the face of the earth and we found out she was sick and so was her whole family--like always.  Then she texted us yesterday and said she couldn't meet this week because her husband was sick and so was her daughter. Needless to say, we sent back a very loving but bold message saying we needed to meet with her to prepare her for baptism. Ricky and Erik bailed on church and on our appointment, so that was extremely frustrating, and we saw them as we were getting lunch yesterday, and they quickly walked away from us so they wouldn't have to talk to us.  MAN!  WHat the heck?!  This is the most frustrating part of missionary work. 

Well the shining star of this week was Rita.  During our weekly planning, Elder Anderson and I were talking about how we can help Rita come to church because that was her main hang-up as far as the church went.  She was scared to commit to come to church because she knew if she came, she would have to keep coming.  Elder Anderson felt like it would be a good idea to give her a church tour.  I felt like that was a great idea, and so we set it up for Saturday where we would bring an older couple in the ward with us and they could fellowship as well as testify. It was probably the best church tour I've ever given. It was run of the mill until we got into the chapel, and we could just feel the peace overwhelm us.  Elder Anderson asked her if she could feel it, and she said she definitely could.  Then I felt like I should read the sacrament prayer as Elder Anderson was explaining the sacrament.  I did, and as I finished reading, I could see her wipe a tear from her eye.  It was great, and the members we brought with us added so much.  She committed to come to church on Sunday, and she did, and she thought it was an awesome experience!  On top of that, the members from the church tour signed up to feed us dinner yesterday, and they invited Rita and her husband over for dinner yesterday where we were able to talk about baptism, and find out she was very excited to be baptized.  It has been an amazing experience.  She's set to be baptized on March 24th, but I think she might even be ready before then.  She is what is getting us through these frustrating experiences.  I want so much for these people to accept and be blessed by the fulness of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ, but they just choose not to.  The terrible, wonderful, two-edged sword of agency. 

I don't have much time today, but I love the gospel so much.  How amazing it is to know of the happiness and purpose that comes with a testimony of the Restoration, of Jesus Christ, and of the Plan of Salvation.  Jesus Christ, our Savior and Redeemer, the Rock of our Salvation, is my anchor.  His love and mercy fill my soul with such peace that I can't withhold.  It is because of this that I am on a mission.  A mission to proclaim the redeeming love of our Lord.  Amazing Grace, and truly it is.  Who else could love me so much that they would continually and forever forgive my weakness, accept my faults, and overlook my mortal shortcomings?  And on top of that, who could give the ultimate and lasting sacrifice that makes it so I am able to overcome all of these human flaws?  Only the perfect Prince of Peace whose loving lifeline is stretched to all who will but simply hold fast to it.  I love him.  And because I love Him, I find strength in each new day, a day to become better.  Live by His love.  Moroni 7:48. 

Love,
Elder Logan Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment