"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
-- Alma 26:12



Monday, August 22, 2011

A Week of Fire and Ice

Hi family,
I love you.

Well I've got some good news and some bad news. Bad news first: I may be eating antelope on Wednesday.

Good news........It's with the part member family that came to church last Sunday. The same part member family that we ate dinner at on fridaythis week. The same part member family named the Binghams that just moved into the ward in the beginning of august. The same part member family that the husband, Jake, is the member, and the wife, Kelly, is the nonmember who told us at dinner on Thursday that she not only wanted the missionary lessons and to learn more about the church, but that she wants to be baptized and confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heck yes! The Lord is blessing our area like crazy, and that was the biggest tender mercy I could have ever asked for.

But, I'll go through my week now. Some of the days were just plain hard. We had a day where not one thing went right, and it was just one let down after another. Those were pretty much the day before we ate with Jake and Kelly, and the day after. Kind of a little insight into how Satan works--like the talk by Elder Holland you guys sent me. We had dinner at the Wilzbach's on Wednesday with another PMF. Jessica and Fred Hurlbert. Fred is not a member, and we're eating dinner with them again at Bishop's house on Tuesday and we're going to teach a lesson. So that's exciting. Spencer cancelled on us, Amber no-showed on us, and that's pretty much how the week was until friday when we met with the Binghams. They were both married before to other people and have kids, but then they got divorced from their previous spouses. Then a few years down the line, they met eachother (after having sworn they wouldn't get married ever again) and got married a year and a half ago. Kelly has talked to Jake about the church. When we were done with dinner on friday, a wonderful dinner of shrimp and mussels, we started talking about stuff, and then E Washburn in a not-so-masterful transition asked what she thought about the church. He asked if she wanted to get the lessons and know more, and that's when she said she wanted to be baptized! I had to keep myself composed, I was about to just bust up laughing because never in a million years did I ever think she was going to say that. Then we asked her if she liked going to church, and she said ya she liked going to sacrament. Then we asked if she felt anything specifically at church--and this is the clincher. She said she feels an overwhelming feeling inside of her when people bear their testimonies, and that she doesn't want to be like a really emotional person, but that's kind of how she feels at church. BINGO!!!! We told her she was describing the Holy Ghost, and that she was what we call a "golden investigator" who is totally ready for the gospel. She has been talking with her husband about it, and wants to know more, and is just completely and utterly what this area needed to get going. I'm super excited and grateful for the Lord's blessing to this area and this ward.

As far as other stuff goes: the miscellaneous paragraph! Everyone, and I mean everyone, eats corn here. It's a staple. No joke. I bet only twice since I've been here has there not been corn at dinner. Wyomingians (or however you say that) are proud of their state. It's supposed to be an early winter here. Oh joy. Four-wheelers are street legal here as long as you have a license plate on them, and I'm jumping on the petition for missionaries on quads. We've biked probably close to 230 miles since I've been out. Zone conference was good, and I learned a lot. The APs trained us on a talk Elder Bednar gave at the new mission presidents' seminar called "Becoming a PMG missionary" if you can get your hands on that, do, because it's an awesome talk. The members here are awesome, a select few are working extremely hard for missionary opportunities, and there's a few potential investigators that we should be meeting with soon. I'm still homesick, but it comes in waves, and I'm told will never completely go away. I love you all, and miss you like crazy, but know that the work progresses, no matter what. Love always and forever,

Elder Logan Bryan

P.S. Special thanks to the Taylors for their package, Nana and Papa for their letter, Kara for her letter to me in the MTC, Scott Watson for his dearelder to me, Seth for his email and letter to me, and the Stephensons for their letter to me. All these helped me out so much, and I'm working on replying to all of them. Sorry it's been delayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment