"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
-- Alma 26:12



Monday, November 14, 2011

Ask and ye shall Receive

Hola Familia,
This week was pretty good, but very busy and kind of hectic. We went on exchanges twice this week. The first time on Thursday I was with Elder Rheingans, and the second time which was on Saturday, I was with both Elder Goesch and Elder Rheingans. They're awesome guys, and great examples of great leaders. We have still been spending a lot of time finding and meeting with potentials.

This week we had one time when we really got an answer to prayers. We had been praying for a family to teach, and then the Zone Leaders encouraged us to fast for a family to teach, and then we taught a potential that we had found last week with her husband. They have two young kids, and they were really nice, and wanted to believe what we taught them. We asked the husband, Neil, if he felt like what we were teaching was true, and he said that he wanted to believe. They don't have a ton of faith right now, but we are going to try and help them recognize the Spirit very strongly so that they can feel like they know that the gospel is true. It was truly an answer to prayers to teach them, and I was very grateful the Lord blessed us with this tender mercy this week.

We had a lesson with Jess on Thursday when I was with Elder Rheingans, and we talked mostly about baptism, and how the gospel will change her life. Again, she knows she needs to be baptized and she has that as a goal in the future, but the only thing holding her back is getting married to Brian. We had talked about having a quick wedding where the Bishop would marry them, and they seemed fairly open to that. Jess said that after talking with both sets of parents, hers and Brian's, they were getting pressure to have a big wedding. We encouraged her to think still about the quick wedding and do a big celebration later, and she said she and Brian would talk about it. They were planning on meeting with Bishop Ross this Sunday to talk about their goals and how to get there, but they both were sick, and Bishop didn't make it to Church until the third hour. So it didn't happen, but we're really hoping that we can meet with her later this weekend. She was very grateful that we came over this week, and made a comment before we left that it felt nice to have us over since it had been a week and a half. She feels the Spirit, and is so ready for baptism.

Some other good news is that tonight we're meeting with a lady named Kelsie Davison who the Zone Leaders had taught the first lesson to a couple months ago. She kind of dropped off the face of the earth for a while, and then they gave us her teaching record and we contacted her a couple of weeks ago. She was gone the last two weeks, but a lady in the ward invited Kelsie and her family over for FHE tonight. Kelsie, from what the teaching record says, was very receptive to the Spirit, and she said she wanted to be baptized and learn more about the gospel. We are planning on teaching her the Plan of Salvation tonight with emphasis on divine potential as a child of God, and the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I think these things will really bring in the Spirit, and she will be receptive to being baptized on a certain date. I'm really excited for this lesson.

Well things have been going pretty good here in Buffalo Ridge, definitely different than last transfer, but I guess that's just how the work goes. We are trying very hard, but there's always room to try harder. I have been trying a lot more to develop patience and let things roll of my back. I have also been praying for charity, because I have come to the realization that what it says in Moroni is so true "if ye have not charity, ye are nothing". I try to develop love for those around me, and it's not always the easiest, but I am really trying to humble myself and let love take place in my heart. It's not always easy to do this, especially when people are taking lightly the things we hold to be sacred and true. But it's what Christ did, and I know I need to become more like him. I am working on creating a routine for my personal study so that I get in memorization, the Book of Mormon, and Preach My Gospel all in the hour that I'm given. I've been trying to be more in Preach My Gospel, and every time I read it, I feel very uplifted and edified. I have felt the Spirit really strongly this week, but I've also felt the workings of the adversary in my life. I know that's an eternal principle, though. Just like Joseph Smith in the Grove, and just like Moses after speaking with God, Satan always tries his hardest when we are trying our hardest. It's kind of annoying really. But we have so much power over Satan that it is incredible if we just do the right thing and keep the commandments. I love missionary work. The Holy Ghost is a comforter, a warner, a peacegiver. In 3 Nephi 19 it says the people prayed for that which they desired most: they desired that the Holy Ghost should be given to them. The Holy Ghost is the answer to all of our problems. There are times we may feel terrible, dark, alone, full of despair, ready to give up. Like Nephi says in 2 Nephi 4: "Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin! Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul" We need not wait any longer in sin or despair or sadness. The Holy Ghost is the way to give place no more for Satan. Pray for its presence, and it shall be given unto you. Look to God, and live. I love you all, I love this work.

Love,
Elder Logan Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment