"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
-- Alma 26:12



Monday, November 21, 2011

Week of Miracles

Well, this week was amazing.

I'll start out by saying that we did have a lesson with Kelsie on Monday, and it went pretty well, but she's having knee surgery today, and we don't know when we'll get another lesson with her. But she's awesome, and we taught her the plan of salvation and asked if she thought what we taught is true, and she said that she believed that everything we talked about was true. It was great.

We're still meeting with Anthony, and we met with him 2 times this week and he's warmed up to us quite a bit. The last time we met with him, a couple of days ago, we went in, and we talked about the Book of Mormon. He hadn't read any, and he's kind of a video game bum. But, I was feeling kind of frustrated and then I just started talking because I felt like I needed to say something. I asked him, "Anthony, why do you think the first lesson we talked with you about baptism, and the last lesson we did, and now we are too? Why do you feel like you were led to let us in here, and we've been talking about it ever since?" He said he thought it was because we wanted him to be part of our church. I told him that was part of the reason, but the main reason was because we loved him. I told him "Anthony, we are representatives of Jesus Christ, and we want for you what He wants for you, and that is to be a part of this church and find more happiness than you ever thought was possible." Well, I think that hit him pretty hard, and it woke him up as to why we are going over there, and why we ask him to do things like read the Book of Mormon and go to church. It was a good lesson.

We met with Neil and Jessica on Wednesday, and we brought brother Cameron Clark with us--he's an awesome guy with a wife and 4 little daughters who served his mission in CancĂșn. Neil and Jessica's daughter, Shauna, is kind of crazy and last lesson we were feeling like she was a big distraction. But, since Bro. Clark is awesome, he played with Shauna and they blew bubbles in the kitchen while we were in the living room teaching. Neil asked some seriously awesome questions, and we taught them lesson 1. We had given them a Book of Mormon and Neil read the whole intro pages and a few more. We then asked them if they found what we were talking about to be true, would they be baptized? And the answer was YES!!! They're awesome.

Next, we met with a lady named TaShanna who was a tracting referral that we met a few weeks ago. We took Bro. Olsen with us (our Ward Mission Leader) and we taught her pretty basically and simply lesson 3, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I asked her specifically in the beginning if she would like to improve her relationship with God, and she said yes. Then I told her that was what we were here to do. She was in agreeance with everything we taught, and she really needs this in her life right now. She's a single mom of 2 daughters and she is going through her 2nd divorce. She could feel that the things we were talking about were true, and we asked her if she would be baptized, and she said she would!!!!

Later that night, we went tracting in this sketchy apartment complex, and the last door we knocked on of the night, a black lady named Jasmine opened the door, and said we could come back the next day. Well, we went back, and she was there, and she let us in and she said her brother in law Isaac was there and she wanted him to be there because he was looking for his religion path right now in his life. Well, we talked to them about their relationship with God, and then we taught lesson 1, the Restoration. We used some metaphors that we like using, and the whole time, Isaac's face was just mindblown. He said to us, "Man, it's crazy how y'all are like speakin in parables and stuff. You guys are really makin me think". After the first vision, we asked both of them if they would be baptized when they found it to be true and read the Book of Mormon, and both of them said YES!!!! Jasmine said she was excited to get the Book of Mormon and she was really going to read it, and she said, "I don't think ya'll gonna believe this, but I'mma come to church!" Well, she was sick Sunday, so she didn't come, but she'll come next week. It was awesome though.

I can't believe all these miracles have happened, and it makes me mad at myself for the times that I've even doubted the Lord just a little bit. He is a God of Mircles. And there is no doubt that is what happened this week. 5 people in Buffalo Ridge accepted the invitation to be baptized this week, and there is no shadow of doubt in my mind that the first 4 weeks of this transfer were in preparation for these people that are ready and willing to hear the message of the Restored Gospel. They are searchers of truth, and until now, they didn't know where to find it. (D&C 123:12)

We had a mission tour this week, which is basically when a general authority comes and talks to our mission and trains us on how to be better. Elder Richard J Maynes of the seventy came and talked to the south half of the mission on wednesday, and to us in the north half on Thursday. It was amazing. It really taught me that we are called to gather the elect, and that those who aren't searching for the truth may be there for us to plant some seeds, but shouldn't be occupying our full efforts or attention. He is an awesome man, and served as a mission president in Monterrey Mexico. I also got to see Elder Washburn there, and that was really cool. I am so grateful to him for the trainer that he was, and the example that he set for me. I love that guy.

Well my recommended scripture reading of the week (based on the title and content of this email) is Mormon 9. "Believe in God" "God has not ceased to be a God of Miracles". I love all of you, I love the work. There is no greater thing than seeing someone change their life and yield it to God--to see them "put off the natural man and become a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord". I am thankful for my many blessings especially at this time of the year. I am thankful for Christ the Lord, I am thankful for his mercy and love that has truly saved my life, I am thankful to my Father in Heaven for all that he is, and his great wisdom, love, and plan. I am thankful for you, for your prayers, and your testimonies. I love this gospel.

Love,
Elder Logan Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment