"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
-- Alma 26:12



Monday, October 31, 2011

Finding




Well familia,
This week was pretty good. We taught Jess twice, and both times they went awesome. She is going to get baptized without a doubt. The only question is when. She is so ready and prepared. She accepts everything we teach and she reads the Book of Mormon. We just need her and Brian to get married, and then she is golden for baptism. It's been awesome being able to teach them. I really look back on how we originally were just going over there to talk with Brian and share a spiritual thought with him. Then he asked us to give him a blessing. Then she was there for that, and they both felt the Spirit immensely. Then she was interested in learning more about what we believe. Then we started teaching her, and baptism wasn't really in the question for her. Then her and Brian realized baptism HAD to be in the plans. Now here we are, only a few more concerns need to be resolved, and I marvel and am humbled at how the Lord works in people's lives. He does, I have no doubt of that. We may not be able to see it in the moment, but looking back, how can we deny the ever-outstretched arm of the Lord working tender mercies every singular day of our lives? He is the God of open arms and outstretched hands. He has said to us, "Come unto me with full purpose of heart, and I shall heal [you]." The truth is, we all need healing. Our job is simply to come unto Him. To do so with all of our hearts. How great is His promise to us. Like the hymn says, "Where can I turn for peace? ... Who, who can understand? He, only one." If I could suggest a scripture to read I would say, read Alma 37:44-47. The way for us is prepared. It is there for us to hold fast to the iron rod. Like Alma says, "if we will look we may live forever...and now...se that ye look to God and live." The gospel isn't an escape from real life, it isn't a fantasy that brings us superficial or ignorant comfort and peace. The Gospel of Jesus Christ IS real life. It brings us "peace in this life and eternal salvation in the life to come" (intro to B.o.M.). Sorry if it sounds like I'm preaching or something, but I've seen the difference in people's lives. I've seen how much this gospel can change people. Granted, I've only been on my mission for a little while, but man! There is nothing that can help people more than the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. Anyway, back to the week.

So we have been tracting a ton this week. Because, we only have really one investigator, Jess. Gregg Bailey dropped us over the phone, and we're giving Spencer some breathing room. We have been tracting a ton each day, and from it over the last few days, we have gotten like 15 potential investigators. It's been awesome to see that people will invite us back, now we just have to help them feel the Spirit and they will want to learn and feel it more in their lives. I don't know how many of these people will become investigators, but if nothing else, we're trying to work hard and do what God has asked us to do. And the Lord will see our righteous efforts to do so, and I know, in His own time, he will bless us. I've been kind of down lately just because we have had nobody to teach besides Jess, and we want more people to teach and help bring closer to Christ. It's hard at times to see the end from the beginning, but I've come to realize the Lord will bless us. I remember the first week I was here, we had nothing going on. And then we were so blessed. It will happen again, I know it. Elder McKay is awesome! I really love working with him, and he has brought a really great Spirit to the area. With Elder Washburn, we didn't focus on finding people as much as we are now. Finding is one of the most important things we can do as missionaries. I can't tell you how much we appreciate referrals from members in the ward. If you know someone who would listen to the missionaries, or who would even just invite them back in their home, let the missionaries (as long as they're not deadbeats) know. Please. Look in Preach My Gospel in the chapter about finding people. President Hinckley is quoted saying that many people just think missionary work is tracting, but those who are involved in the work know that there is a better way. That is through the members. The members are awesome here, but you can honestly never get too many referrals.

Well, my email was kind of interesting this week, but I want you all to know how much this work means. It is the work of the salvation of souls, and honestly, I find myself wondering every day how I am a part of such an awesome work. We are weak, we are imperfect, we are afraid. But His grace is sufficient for us. He makes weak things become strong. And although many times I feel like a very weak thing, I know that the Lord can work through even me, a weak, imperfect being. And not only is he working through me, but He is shaping me every day into something He wants me to be. Every day he helps me "Try a little harder to be a little better" as President Hinckley said. He can do the same for you. I love you all so much. I miss you immensely. But, God has called me to do a greater work than I could ever imagine. And like Nephi, I try and make my response "And I must obey". I love you. I pray for you.

Love always and forever,
Elder Logan Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment