"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
-- Alma 26:12



Monday, October 10, 2011

Snow!?!?!?!


Hey Family,

So as the title says, yes it did snow. Yes it was freezing. We tried biking in it and every snowflake felt like a dagger to the face. My pants were soaked, my face was eaten off. It was crazy. So first item on the shopping list, long johns. Then a facemask. Luckily John Cox, an awesome guy in the ward that served his mission in Ireland, took us around for the rest of the day. It was really awesome of him. He's a great guy. One of my pictures should be me in the snow/wind. Ya that wind is nothing, wait til you're biking in it. It was kind of awesome though. Stories to tell. It's been cold here, and I think it's gonna stay that way. So a couple more long sleeve shirts wouldn't hurt anything (thank you very much). We had interviews with the President this week. I love President Toombs. He is awesome. I really liked my interview with him and it helped me out a lot. He asked us to increase our faith. We as missionaries need to rely on faith more than methods, and that's something I'm trying to work on.

Fred Hurlburt is on for Baptism this Saturday, and he's getting more excited about it and less nervous. I think he's going to ask either Elder Washburn or me to do it. He was going to ask his 95 year old grandfather to do it, but his grandpa doesn't have the priesthood. So if he does choose either of us, it will be the first time we actually physically baptize someone. It's kind of nerve-wracking, but I think it will be ok. We're super excited for him, and for the fact that he has progressed so much since we first started teaching him. His wife, Jessica, has helped us so much along the way; her testimony is so solid, and she is really excited for Fred. She is in tune with the Spirit and has really been a major factor in his conversion. We have a lesson with them tonight, and we're getting him ready for baptism. He is ready, and I think he realizes he won't know everything before he gets baptized, but what matters is what he does know is true.

We had a lesson with Todd Hufford at Bishop Thad Brown's (previous bishop) house last night and that went really well. Todd was hesitant towards paying tithing beforehand, but with the testimony of both Bishop and Sister Brown, Todd said he would be willing to "prove" tithing like the Lord asks us to. I think he is progressing more than he thinks. He told us that he thinks he isn't opening up as much as he thinks he is. He said he needs to open up more to receive answers and I think he's right. He needs to be willing to listen for God's answers and actually look for them. He is a great guy, and we are really hoping and praying that he will be ready for his baptismal date on the 22nd. Todd is a stubborn guy, but he realizes that, and I think slowly he is starting to open up more and more to the idea of how much this can bless his, and his wife's, and his son's lives. Bishop Brown told Todd that this decision would make a world of difference in the life of his son. Bishop Brown told him that his father had taken the lessons for 7 years and then was baptized, and that is the thing that he is most grateful for about his dad-his decision to become a member of this gospel and live according to it's standards in order to receive the blessings. I think Todd was really hit by this and he realizes how much of an impact this decision will have on his son Tanner's life. He's awesome though, and he'll be able to see the light.

We had a lesson with Brian Thomas and Jess yesterday. Bishop Ross came along. Bishop asked them a bunch of questions and got to know them much better. We taught the first half of lesson 2, and Bishop then kind of took charge and commited them to pray if this was the right path. They were super receptive the whole time, and I think it was inspired and directed of God that Bishop was there because they reacted to his questions and his invitations so well. Bishop asked Jess to be baptized and Brian to prepare to receive the Melchizedek priesthood. It was awesome to be there and testify of the change they'll be able to see in their lives. Brian shared with us that ever since we came over and gave him a blessing, he's been thinking about how he wants to be able to do that for Jess and their daughter Taycee. He said it has been a long time since he's thought about the priesthood, but that kind of sparked those feelings again that he wants and desires to be a worthy priesthood holder who can bless the life of his family through the righteous exercising of the authority that God will give him. Brian has a super strong testimony and he knows this is what he needs to do, I think he is just afraid of the change and sacrifice that he will have to make to get there. Jess is solid too. She knows this is the path she needs to take, she just doesn't feel like she knows enough about the gospel. As they both pray to know if these paths are right for them (which they are), they'll be able to see the sacrifices they need to make are nothing compared to the blessings they'll get. It was a great lesson and went a lot better than the last one we had with them.

We had a lesson with Dustin, who is now our investigator that we are going to pass on to the zone leaders because he wants to go to the singles ward. He has had a rough life, but we emphasized the importance of the Book of Mormon with him. He has been searching for something but he says he doesn't know what that is. We testified that this is it, and although it may not seem like it, this gospel has all the answers and he will find more happiness through it than anything else. Sarah Jimenez, a girl in the singles ward, testified really simply and strongly about how not much matters besides knowing that the Book of Mormon is true. When you know that, you know pretty much everything else. It was an awesome lesson, and we have another one on Tuesday where we'll take the zone leaders with us and pass him to them I think.

This week has been pretty awesome as far as the work goes. It is hard work, that is for sure, but it is so worth it. I have a testimony of work, it is what keeps us obedient, successful, and happy. I know that we have seen so many blessings by just getting out and going to work. And like Elder Alonso said in conference, you don't need a planning meeting for everything. Sometimes you just have to work. I know that's true. I love being a missionary. I just want to be the best missionary I can be, and I'm trying to become better one day at a time. I know this gospel is true, I know the atonement is real, I've felt it change my life. One of my favorite quotes is by President Hinckley: "try a little harder, to be a little better". Elder Washburn and I truly try to always find ways to become better.

Love,

Elder Logan Bryan






No comments:

Post a Comment