"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
-- Alma 26:12



Monday, April 16, 2012

Week 1 in Greeley

So Family,

This week was kind of crazy.  I got to Greeley on Monday.  We cover just a University Ward (University of Northern Colorado) that meets at the Institute for church at 9:30 on Sundays.  Our Bishop is Bishop Russon.  One set of Spanish elders lives with us in the farmhouse.  There are two sets of Spanish elders that cover the Greeley 5th branch.  What might end up happening in the summer is that I might get a Spanish comp and we'll cover Spanish as well as University, since there's nobody there in the summer--that's wishful thinking though, and I'm not sure.  

We have 3 progressing investigators right now--Sam Munson, Catherine Choy, and Becky Merle.  We had a lesson with Sam on Tuesday this week.  He knows the church is true--probably more than anyone that I've met.  He has such a strong testimony, but his family is Catholic, and they don't approve at all.  He has been debating whether to tell them or not, and we taught him an encouraging lesson on Tuesday.  We met again with him on Thursday, and we asked him how the past few days were.  He said nothing much had happened, and then he said, "Actually, I don't know why I said that."  He had a great spiritual experience that let him know he needed to be baptized, and soon.  He decided to be baptized on April 21st and this Saturday he will do so!  He's so awesome.  Catherine Choy is his girlfriend who has basically the same background.  She was Catholic, didn't agree with many of the beliefs, and didn't know what to do with her relationship with God.  Sam started meeting with the elders here, so he shared with her.  She said she hasn't felt closer to God ever before.  She'll be baptized in May when her one supportive friend gets home from college.  Becky is the friend of a member in the ward.  She has been reading and praying about the Book of Mormon, and now she has faith in Christ, but her parents are encouraging her to look into other churches too, so tonight we'll probably end up resolving some of her concerns.  

Last night there was a fireside entitled "He came for Me" that the YSA Institute put on.  Yes mom, it's that song from Women at the Well.  It was so spiritual, and guess who sang that particular song?  Jenny Van Wagenen. Yup the same one from Germany, so she's in the ward too.  Crazy, huh?  It was an awesome fireside, full of testimonies of the atonement.  The work here is going great.  I love Greeley even though it stinks like cow poop all the time :)  Love you guys so much.

Love,
Elder Logan Bryan


Squirrel chillin' outside the Institute on a hot Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment