"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
-- Alma 26:12



Monday, April 23, 2012

Week 2 in Greeley!

Mi Familia,

So here I am again in Greeley.  It's so weird not to be in Cheyenne!  So Elder Dodd is from Red Bluff, CA.  He was called as a Spanish speaking missionary, but we only cover an English area here in the University Ward.  We get to talk to Latinos often though.  I have studied a little Spanish, but not much.  I went on an exchange this week with one of the Spanish elders in his area.  He's brand new and green, so doesn't know Spanish.  We went tracting, and boy was that an experience.  I realized how little Spanish I actually know.  I gave a couple of approaches in Spanish and it was difficult understanding the people when they replied--with their words flying a billion miles an hour.  It's ok, though. Someday I'll learn it.  Elder Dodd and I get along great.  He's a great and obedient missionary.

Life as a missionary in a university ward is much much different than usual. There are special rules for campus missionaries.  The rules we have are (completely serious these are our rules):  We are the LIFE of the Institute! (We've been thinking about getting visors, wearing them sideways and upside down, walking in with a boombox, and being the LIFE of the 'tute.) We ALWAYS have to have a smile on our face!  We MUST be at all Institute activities to gain the trust of the members (from where most of our investigators come [referrals])!  We go to FHE on Mondays, we have lessons with members a ton to help them invite their friends to be taught. We walk around on campus and talk to people all the time. We take part of our pray on Saturday because we cut it short on Monday to work because people are on campus on Mondays.

This week in the area was great!  Sam had a hard time leading up to his baptism where Satan was working hard on him, but he did it, and he pushed through.  He texted us on Friday and said, "I know this isn't going to stop until I get in those waters".  He's awesome!  He was baptized on Saturday and the Spirit was super strong.  Elder Dodd confirmed him on Sunday (the spirit was also strong there), and he texted us last night and said his parents found out, and his dad said some terrible things to him and hung up the phone.  We texted him that we would pray for his parents' hearts to be softened, and that one day they would thank him for his choice.  Catherine is chugging along.  She gave up coffee this week for good, and she is set to be baptized on May 19th.  With Becky, we had some good lessons about recognizing the Spirit and the answers God gives us.  She is starting to do just that.  She is starting to truly see the changes that have been wrought in her since she started reading the Book of Mormon and learning more about the truth of the gospel.  We are going to have a lesson with her this week about the importance of baptism, and why we have invited her to be baptized.

Things are going great in the Greeley Zone (that's what it's called Dad).  We found 20 new investigators as a zone--which is crazy for Greeley (it's kind of been known as the armpit of the mission in times past).  I am excited to be here and to be working as we are.  I love this gospel.

Something I learned this week was the love that God has for us. He truly and completely and purely loves us.  I know He puts us in situations for a reason.  I know He gives us trials and lets us turn to Him to overcome them.  We are never alone.  He sent His own son to let us live.  And it is only because of Jesus' and God's sacrifices that we can find happiness.  He is the fount of every blessing. We wander, we stray, but eventually we all have to have Him take and seal our hearts to be His.  Let us show our love for Him who loved us first by doing so.  I love Him.  Love you all so much. 

Love,
Elder Logan Bryan
Sam and Catherine at his Baptism!


Sam's Baptism!

No comments:

Post a Comment