"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
-- Alma 26:12



Monday, June 25, 2012

It's HOT




Alissa's Baptism!!!
Well my Dear Family,

Let me just say. It's hot in Greeley.  It's been consistently over 100.  I know, I know all you Vegasites are saying I'm a wimp.  Well when you spend 9 months in Cheyenne, and part of it is in the winter, you acclimatize (if that's a word.)  I'm burning up!  But so is the work, so that's awesome!

Last Monday, I didn't email about it because I didn't know how it would turn out, we got a text from HQ saying a girl named Kelsey Murray who goes to UNC requested a Book of Mormon on mormon.org.  We called her late last Monday and set up an appt to meet with her at the Institute on Tuesday (when I would be with Elder Washburn!)  She sounded excited and interested.  So, we get there and she was waiting for us, (we also brought a member who was baptized last fall and had started investigating because he requested a Book of Mormon on mormon.org--sweet coincidence--not) which was cool. We start talking to her and she tells us that she had a lot of Mormon friends growing up, and she has been looking into the church for years (probably been on 90% of the pages on mormon.org) but had a rough summer, and she is now ready to join the church.  WHOA!  Come again?!  We then taught the restoration of the gospel, and we talked about praying to know if the Book of Mormon is true and feeling the Holy Ghost. We asked her if she had done so, and she said she had!  WHAT?! Then we invited her to be baptized and she said yes!  Then we invited her to be baptized on July 14th and she said yes!  Can you believe that?  So then we set up appointments with her for the next two days and taught her the plan of salvation, the word of wisdom, law of chastity, following the prophet, and studying the scriptures.  She loves all of it.  On top of it, her family is super supportive: she already told her mom, and this weekend she went to Castle Rock (where her dad lives) and he took her to church!  I can't believe the tender mercies of the Lord. She's amazingly ready, and already has a testimony.  It's incredible!

So on another good note, we got to teach Kaleb Cook again, and we are working on getting fellowship for him, but he committed to be baptized on July 28th!

We taught Gary this week at the Searles' house (an awesome family in the ward) and we taught the word of wisdom and he's working on quitting smoking.  We then talked about baptism and he committed to be baptized on July 28th!  He's ready to make this change as well.

I cannot believe how amazing the blessings and tender mercies of the Lord have been. Greeley is amazing, and I am loving the Lord's watchful and merciful arm.


Alissa's baptism was great.  Two of her kids, with the help of Bro Myers (her friend), gave the talks on baptism and the Holy Ghost.  It was awesome to see that, and I know they will be blessed for their valiance and noble ways--they will someday be able to be baptized.  I know that with all my heart.  Alissa was then baptized and as she was, I just got a familiar warm feeling as she went down into the water and came back up.  It was amazing to see such a prepared person finally receive the blessings of their honest seeking.  I feel like I didn't do anything to receive this blessing of being a part of their lives and conversion, but it's amazing to see such a miracle happen anyway.  Elder Stanger then sang "Be still my soul" with his guitar for a special musical number.  It was just a great baptism.


Today I was reminded of a great truth that is so important to remember.  I was reading the introduction, title page, and testimonies of the 3 and 8 witnesses, and I was reminded of the rudimentary, powerful truth that the missionary handbook states so simply:  "How great is your calling!"  In the testimony of 8 witnesses, they declare:  "And we give our names unto the world, to WITNESS UNTO THE WORLD that which we have seen. AND WE LIE NOT, God bearing witness of it."  This is my calling as an ordained, set apart minister and representative of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  I wear His name, but more deeply and rooted than that is a covenant that I have taken on to take upon me His name.  More than wearing His name, I bear His name.  There is no greater honor, privelege, or responsibility than this.  I bear the name and calling of the Only Begotten Son of God, the Prince of Peace, the Savior, Redeemer, Advocate, and Creator.  How GREAT is my calling, and how GREAT is yours!  I am eternally indebted to Him, and I am and will be forever grateful for the opportunity to do what He would do, and to act as He would.  Let us never forget who it is that we represent. Missionary or not, we are disciples of Him who is mighty to save.  I love him eternally. I love you so much. 

Love,
Elder Logan Bryan

Elder Stanger, Alissa and her children, Brother Myers, and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment