"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
-- Alma 26:12



Monday, March 18, 2013

Week 2 In the Broad Lands

Happy St Patrick's Day!
Mi Family!

I had a pretty dang good week. First off, Elder Young and I worked really hard to reach our goal of teaching 20 lessons this week. And we did it! We were super excited to do so, and we feel pretty accomplished. I don't think the Broadlands Ward has ever had 20 lessons in a week ever, so we feel like the Lord and the ward are beginning to trust us as we have put forth good effort.

The biggest miracle that we had this week was incredible. It's amazing how you can look at a week at the beginning and have no idea of what the Lord has in store for us or for his children. We had a goal to teach 20 lessons, and He let us accomplish that. On Tuesday night we took a guy that has his mission call in our ward out with us, his name is Wyatt Swicegood. We tried the Worltons (Jeff and Keaton and Kennedy), but they didn't answer. We tried an investigator who's been out of town for a while, but they didn't answer either. We weren't sure exactly what to do, and Wyatt said to us, "I know a lady we could try. Do you guys want to go see her?" We of course did, and Wyatt told us that this lady was the grandmother of the kids that his mom nannies. We knocked on her door, and she saw Wyatt and was really happy to see him. Wyatt said to her essentially, "I'm out with the missionaries, preparing for my mission, and our last two appointments bailed on us. We're looking for people to teach." The lady laughed a little and told us to come in. We were stoked! We got to know her, and her husband (?). Their names are Mickey and Lynn. Mickey is a super nice lady who is Catholic, and Lynn isn't super religious, but we started talking to them and teaching the first lesson. It went amazingly. The Spirit was so strong. We talked about the Apostasy, and the restoration through Joseph Smith, and then The Book of Mormon. When we testified and taught about the Book of Mormon, Lynn asked, "Is there nothing contradicting to the Bible in the Book of Mormon?" We testified that there isn't, and that the Book of Mormon is true because the Spirit has born witness to us that it is. The Spirit was very powerful, and it was an amazing lesson. Wyatt was blown away! We set up an appt with Mickey for Thurs night, and Lynn is out of town for a couple weeks, but it was an amazing miracle. What a blessing. Afterwards Wyatt was talking to us about the lesson, and he was amazed at the Spirit and how it guided us. He said to us, "I totally trust you guys. I would trust you with my friends..." That was one of the most rewarding things to hear. What a way to build the trust of members. 

I know, however hard the path is to success and progress and perfection, it is worth it. If we try our best, we will be given strength to try even harder. President Eyring said, "I can't be a perfect servant every hour, but I can try to give more effort than I thought I could."  I know that strait is the gate and narrow the way, but I am striving to stay on it, and to help others on to it as well.  It's amazing the insights and blessings we get as we serve the Lord.  He is our trainer. That is a marvelous truth. I need not rely on myself, but I know He is here for me. He knows me. For that I am grateful.  I love Him and his ever-outstretched hands.  I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Love,
Elder Logan Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment