"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
-- Alma 26:12



Monday, July 30, 2012

Save me a piece of that corn!


Hey Family! 

How are things going? It sounds like you guys have been ridiculously busy.
 
So first things first, this week was pretty good.  AND I got to be with Elder McKay again for a day!  It was awesome!
 
So most exciting news of the week: Paul! This guy is awesome!  We met with Paul on Tuesday and taught the Plan of Salvation. He loved it and it made a lot of sense to him. He had questions, but he just wanted to know what he needs to do to follow God. We talked about baptism again with him. He asked how soon he would need to be baptized. We told him not tomorrow, but when God gave him an answer that it would be important for him to follow that and act on it. He understood and said, "I don't think it will be long before I'm ready to be baptized"! Then Elder McKay and I were on exchanges on Friday, and we taught Paul again. It was seriously one of the best lessons of my life. We taught part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We talked about baptism again. He asked some good questions and Elder McKay and I both were able to answer some of them. Then Paul felt like he still wasn't ready. Then I felt prompted to read D&C 20:37, and asked him, "Out of the things that are required for baptism, which of those things do you still feel like you're lacking in?" He said it was humility. That he knew what he needed to do and what God was telling him to do, but he felt like his pride was getting in the way of him following it fully. We then had a great discussion about overcoming weaknesses. He definitely felt the Spirit, and I felt it super strongly. We then went back to baptism. We asked again what he thought about baptism. He said he thought it was something he needed to do. We asked when he thought he would want to. He asked, "Next Sunday?" Wow, what faith! We explained about coming to church 3 times, and he is set to be baptized on August 18th!  It was awesome!  He came to church and was fellowshipped awesomely. It was just an amazing experience.
 
Well everything else is doing really well here in Greeley. Things are going well, and we are seeing a lot of progress and a lot of blessings. I love it so much. I had an amazing realization this week. I came to think about what we need to hear as people, members, missionaries, to best help us become better. I thought of hope and of empowerment. Though some people struggle with pride, I feel like sometimes we don't hear enough how much good we're doing, how important we are, and how much we mean to God, and how much potential we have. Lots of people try to tell us how to improve or what to improve. That is excellent.  But, to instill in someone a love for themselves, a longing to change and look forward to the future, and a humble, grateful heart towards God, is to build in them a knowledge and realization of those things innately. It has changed the way I have looked at being Christlike. He taught us who we were and what we could become, and then asked us to become that way. How great of an example that is. If we can hope, if we can find redeeming, enabling, and empowering strength through the Atonement, we are given the perspective we need to become the person we are supposed to be. I love Christ. He is always reaching out to us. Let us "forsake all and follow him". 

Love,
Elder Logan Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment