"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
-- Alma 26:12



Monday, January 21, 2013

Becoming

Me and Elder McKay

Dearest Family and Friends,

This week was a blur. I don't remember a lot of it, to tell you the truth. We had 2 leadership training meetings on Tues and Thurs, and then I was on an exchange in Greeley on Wed, in Loveland from Thurs-Fri, and in Fort Collins from Fri-Sat night. So, it was a crazy busy week. I was grateful for the time I was able to spend in the zones. How grateful I am for the opportunity we have to represent the Lord Jesus Christ and strive to be like Him. I have felt His love for my brothers and sisters here as I have tried so hard to help them become more like Him.

I was on exchanges this week, and there is a missionary in that zone that I grew to become pretty good friends with while serving in Greeley (he served in the Spanish branch there). His name is Elder So and So. He is such a talented elder with so many gifts from God given to him to be able to do God's work, but sometimes he doesn't live up to his potential. I'm not saying I do the best at that, but Elder So and So has the potential to be so much more. I knew he hadn't been doing very well, so I asked Elder Kyger (my companion for the day) if we could go on tracting splits with that companionship. I took Elder So and So with me for about an hour or so to tract, and we talked while we did it. A while back, he had told us as his zone leaders in Greeley that he was ready to change and become more. He sat us down and shared with us something the Holy Ghost had prompted him, and we tried to help him. I asked him how he was doing, and he said he was doing good, but I could tell he wasn't. So we kept talking and I finally asked him, "Elder So and So, do you remember that day you sat us down in Greeley and told us you were ready to change?" He said he did. I then asked him, "What is the difference between you then, and you now?" He then quickly responded, "You. You and Elder Hernandez aren't there to be able to help me. I knew you loved me and cared about me and wanted to help me. I don't feel that here. I just feel judged." Well, I told him that even if he might feel judged the people that are trying to get him to step it up are doing it because they love him. I then talked to him about the potential he has. I asked him if he really knew who he could become. He kind of brushed it aside and we kept talking, and on the way back I told him I think he is one of the most talented people I've ever met and he has the potential to be one of the best missionaries ever. I then asked him again on the way back if he knew who he could become. He then responded, "I don't really know. But I want to do it. I want to become who God wants me to become." I told him that I had a really hard time in the beginning of my mission. Later on I showed him the recording on my recorder of my 3rd or 4th day in the mission field when I was having a really hard time. I told him that I had a really hard time, and only with the Lord's help am I who I am today. He does have the power to change us and strengthen us. After listening to it, he asked me, "Elder Bryan, why do you care so much?" I asked him what he meant, and he said, "Why do you care so much about everything, the mission, the missionaries, me?" I then taught him about charity. I told him I had prayed for it and asked for the ability to see others (especially the missionaries) as they can become (which is a fruit of charity, Moroni 7:48). I told him that somehow I had been able to see how much he could become, and because I can see that, I have to do all that I can to be able to help him get there. I started getting emotional as I told him how much I knew he could become. I don't know why I wanted to share this, but I am so grateful for the opportunities I have to be able to minister to people. How grateful I am for the example the Savior set to "leave the ninety and nine and go after the one".  It is the Lord's pattern of ministry. 

I don't know much of what happened this week, other than the fact that Elder McKay and a zone leader taught Angie. They pulled some strings and figured out a way to have a YW babysit Angie's kids in the Kaiser's basement while they taught her with the Kaisers upstairs. It went well Elder McKay said, and Angie said she would start coming to church. We did get to teach Sandy on Tuesday with Bro. Van Wagenen (our WML) and it was a good lesson. We taught her about faith, repentance, and baptism. She talks a lot, but is such a good-hearted lady, and I know she will be baptized. Looks like our January goal is not going to be accomplished, but stranger things have happened. I know the Lord is doing His work in His time. I need to step my game up to be able to be his servant and instrument. I love His gospel. I love His church. They're true. 

Love,
Elder Logan Bryan





Near the beginning of our hike to Royal Arch in Boulder.  The Kaisers took us--we love them!
Nearly there--going down before going up again.

At the Top!
Made It!
Beautiful View at the Top!

No comments:

Post a Comment