"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
-- Alma 26:12



Monday, June 10, 2013

Week 2 Andando en mi Bici

Que transita por tus venas?

Sorry for the terrible slang, but that's what I learn down here in C-City. Just kidding, I just laugh at some of the slang that I learn. I learned that one way to say "peace out" in a pretty slang way is "te baƱas!" Crazy huh? Well this week has been a pretty dang good one. We set some really high goals this week, and we didn't achieve them, but that's why we set goals, to help us work towards doing better. We found 7 new investigators again this week. It's been really good. Elder Orejuela and I have been changing the way that we work here in Montevista. Many times, people will tell us they're busy, or to come back another time. Many times we can't enter the home because there isn't a man there. But, we can sure pray and teach outside. So we do now. We invite the people to talk outside with us for a few minutes, and we have opening and closing prayers with them, and teach them parts of the missionary lessons. It's been really good, and it's been an awesome opportunity to teach people we otherwise wouldn't have been able to teach.

Daniela is doing awesome! We taught her a ton this week, and there were some crazy miracles and things that took our hearts and our prayers for a roller coaster, but I'll tell you more about that when I get home. If you'd like to start making some questions for me about things I told you I'd tell you about when I got home, that might be a good idea, because I just don't remember all the things I've said I would talk about later. It has truly been a week of miracles. Familia Vasquez, who I talked about a while back that we were teaching them how to do member missionary work, had Hna Vasquez's friend over for a noche de hogar on Monday. It went awesome, and Hna Vasquez invited Yadira, her friend, to listen to the missionaries (us). She said she did want to do that. So, we had a lesson with her on Thursday morning with Hna Vasquez. So despite a few rough patches in the lesson, Yadira accepted the invitation to be baptized, and we set up a lesson for yesterday. Yesterday we taught her again. We taught the first lesson, and showed her part of the restoration video. It was really good, and it was awesome to be able to see her feel the power of the message. In the end, she accepted the invitation to be baptized on July 13th. Woohoo! Daniela is getting baptized this Saturday at 11:00 am. She chose Elder Orejuela to baptize her, and we're stoked. It's going to be such a good baptism, and she is way excited too. She's so ready. It's been such a good experience to be able to teach her.

One of the coolest new investigator stories we found this week was a lady named Asusena. She is from Mexico, and her family all live there still except her, her husband, and her kids. Recently she had some family members die, and she isn't able to go back and see them, and it's really hard for her. We testified of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and the power it had to give us knowledge of God's plan for us so that we can find peace. She loved it, and we're going back tomorrow in the afternoon. One of the coolest experiences of the week was teaching Jessica Plata last night. We'd been trying to be able to meet with her for a long time, but never have been able to. Last night, we were supposed to visit her family. In fact, we had confirmed it, and reconfirmed it. But when we got there, her parents weren't home. We had Hno Bermudez with us (our Lider Misional), so we could go in and talk. So when we got in, we didn't even know she was home, and so we talked to her little brother. After a while, she came out into the room, right as we said the opening prayer to teach Angel, her little brother, a lesson. After the prayer, she was just standing there, and I asked her if she wanted to sit down, and she said that she did, and we ended up teaching pretty much just her. She shared with us why she wanted to change her life, and what she needed to do. Hno Bermudez shared his testimony and his conversion story, and it was EXACTLY what Jessica needed to hear. She said she has been confused for most of her life with religion, but she wants to grow close to God, and she is willing to get baptized when she knows for herself it's what she needs to do. It was just a miracle that everything worked out the way it did. We had never taken Hno Bermudez to the Platas, and this day, he happened to be with us and it was exactly what she needed. The Lord works miracles in his work!

I love being a missionary. It is without a doubt, the best thing I've ever done. I've had the blessing of testifying of Christ, and of helping people grow close to him. What a blessing. Christ is the center of all we do. He is the mark. When we find we are losing hope, or direction--in my humble witness, I know He is the source to which we need to turn. I love the scriptures. What a marvelous blessing they are to me. They have become my friends. My source of comfort. In reality, they are a means to help me realize and come to know more my divine friend, Jesus Christ. They testify of His love, and His power available to all of us who are here on this earth. I am so grateful to my Maker, my Savior, my Friend. He is the fount of my every blessing. He has indeed calmed my troubled heart. He has stilled the raging tempests. He has been my firm foundation. I love Him. 

Love,
Elder Logan Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment